I am Lecturer (Assistant Professor) and direct the Smart Robotic Lab at Department of Computer Science, University of Liverpool. I received my PhD from the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), Italy. Previously, I worked at the Hamlyn Centre for Robotic Surgery, Imperial College London, Australian National University, Inria, and The University of Adelaide. I am an Associate Editor for IEEE Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics.
My research goal is to develop methods that enable robots to see and act like humans.
- Robot Vision: Segmentation, detection, medical imaging
- Machine Learning: Deep learning, federated learning
- Robotics: Autonomous catheterisation, medical robotics.
Prospective Students: I am always looking for motivated PhD students with/without scholarships. Please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your research interests. Some scholarships at University of Liverpool: CDT for Distributed Algorithm, CSC-Liverpool, and others.
- 09/2023 One paper accepted to NeurIPS. Congrats An!
- 08/2023 One paper accepted to SIGGRAPH Asia 2023 journal track and Transactions on Graphics (TOG). Preprint coming soon!
- 07/2023 Our paper Reducing Training Time in Cross-Silo Federated Learning using Multigraph Topology has been accepted to ICCV 2023. Congrats team!
- 06/2023 One paper accepted to MICCAI 2023. Congrats Baoru!
- 06/2023 Our paper Open-Vocabulary Affordance Detection in 3D Point Clouds has been accepted to IROS 2023.
- 06/2023 One fully-funded PhD studentship is available. Apply here.
- 06/2023 I give a talk at Force and Shape Perception for Surgical Instruments and Robots workshop in ICRA 2023.
- 05/2023 I co-organize the Data Engineering in Medical Imaging (DEMI) workshop in MICCAI, and Robotic Awareness and Autonomy in Surgery workshop in the Hamlyn Symposium this year.
- 04/2023 One 2 years RA position is available. Apply here.
- 03/2023 Two papers accepted to Briefings in Bioinformatics (IF=13.9) and IFAC World Congress 2023.
- 02/2023 One paper accepted to CVPR 2023. Congrats Nhat and the whole team!
- 02/2023 One KTP grant accepted!
- 01/2023 I’ll serve as an Associate Editor for IROS 2023, and Program Chair for BMVC 2023.
- 12/2022 One paper accepted to IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (IF=4.7) and Information Fusion (IF=17.5).
- 10/2022 I’ll serve as an Associate Editor for ICRA 2023.
- 09/2022 One paper accepted in WACV 2022.
- 07/2022 I’ll serve as a PC for BMVC 2022.
- 07/2022 One paper accepted in ECCV 2022. Congrats Kostas!
- 06/2022 I’ll give a talk at Towards Versatile and Seamless Surgical Technologies workshop in HSMR 2022.
- 06/2022 One paper accepted in MICCAI 2022. Congrats Baoru!
- 05/2022 One fully-funded PhD studentship is available. Apply here.
- 04/2022 One paper accepted to IEEE Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics. Congrats Baoru!
- 04/2022 One paper accepted to 33rd IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium.
- 03/2022 I’m organizing the Recent Advances in Autonomous Surgery workshop in the Hamlyn Symposium On Medical Robotics 2022.
- 01/2022 I’ll serve as an Associate Editor for IROS 2022.
- 01/2022 One paper accepted to IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging (IF=11.0).
- 12/2021 Our paper
Occlusion-robust Visual Markerless Bone Tracking for Computer-Assisted Orthopaedic Surgeryhas been accepted to IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement. Congrats Xue!
- 11/2021 Our paper
Global-local attention for emotion recognitionhas been accepted to Neural Computing and Applications. Congrats Nhat & Khanh!
- 10/2021 Our paper
Deep Federated Learning for Autonomous Drivingis available on arXiv
- 09/2021 Our paper
Light-weight Deformable Registration using Adversarial Learning with Distilling Knowledgeis available on arXiv with code
- 06/2021 Two papers accepted in MICCAI 2021, preprints coming soon!
- 05/2021 I’m organizing the Soft, Smart, Multi-functional, Agile and Aware Surgical Robots: Progress And Technologies workshop in the Hamlyn Symposium On Medical Robotics 2021. Poster submissions are welcome with £300 for the best poster award!
- 05/2021 Our paper
Graph-based Person Signature for Person Re-Identificationsis available on arXiv with code.
- 04/2021 Our paper
An MR-Safe Endovascular Robotic Framework: Design, Control, and Preclinical Evaluationhas been accepted to IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering.