I am Lecturer (Assistant Professor) and direct the Smart Robotic Lab at Department of Computer Science, University of Liverpool. I received my PhD from the Italian Institute of Technology (IIT), Italy. Previously, I worked at the Hamlyn Centre for Robotic Surgery, Imperial College London, Australian National University, Inria, and The University of Adelaide. My research goal is to develop methods that enable robots to see and act like humans.
- Vision: Segmentation, detection, medical imaging
- Learning: Deep learning, deep reinforcement learning, federated learning
- Robotics: Autonomous navigation/manipulation, medical robotics.
Prospective Students: I am always looking for motivated PhD students with/without scholarships. Please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your research interests. Some scholarships at University of Liverpool: CDT for Distributed Algorithm, CSC-Liverpool, and others.
- 03/2023 Two papers accepted to Briefings in Bioinformatics (IF=13.9) and IFAC World Congress 2023.
- 02/2023 One paper accepted to CVPR 2023. Congrats Nhat and the whole team!
- 02/2023 One KTP grant accepted!
- 01/2023 I’ll serve as an Associate Editor for IROS 2023, and Program Chair for BMVC 2023.
- 12/2022 One paper accepted to IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering (IF=4.7) and Information Fusion (IF=17.5).
- 10/2022 I’ll serve as an Associate Editor for ICRA 2023.
- 09/2022 One paper accepted in WACV 2022.
- 07/2022 I’ll serve as a PC for BMVC 2022.
- 07/2022 One paper accepted in ECCV 2022. Congrats Kostas!
- 06/2022 I’ll give a talk at Towards Versatile and Seamless Surgical Technologies workshop in HSMR 2022.
- 06/2022 One paper accepted in MICCAI 2022. Congrats Baoru!
- 05/2022 One fully-funded PhD studentship is available. Apply here.
- 04/2022 One paper accepted to IEEE Transactions on Medical Robotics and Bionics. Congrats Baoru!
- 04/2022 One paper accepted to 33rd IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium.
- 03/2022 I’m organizing the Recent Advances in Autonomous Surgery workshop in the Hamlyn Symposium On Medical Robotics 2022.
- 01/2022 I’ll serve as an Associate Editor for IROS 2022.
- 01/2022 One paper accepted to IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging (IF=11.0).
- 12/2021 Our paper
Occlusion-robust Visual Markerless Bone Tracking for Computer-Assisted Orthopaedic Surgeryhas been accepted to IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation & Measurement. Congrats Xue!
- 11/2021 Our paper
Global-local attention for emotion recognitionhas been accepted to Neural Computing and Applications. Congrats Nhat & Khanh!
- 10/2021 Our paper
Deep Federated Learning for Autonomous Drivingis available on arXiv
- 09/2021 Our paper
Light-weight Deformable Registration using Adversarial Learning with Distilling Knowledgeis available on arXiv with code
- 06/2021 Two papers accepted in MICCAI 2021, preprints coming soon!
- 05/2021 I’m organizing the Soft, Smart, Multi-functional, Agile and Aware Surgical Robots: Progress And Technologies workshop in the Hamlyn Symposium On Medical Robotics 2021. Poster submissions are welcome with £300 for the best poster award!
- 05/2021 Our paper
Graph-based Person Signature for Person Re-Identificationsis available on arXiv with code.
- 04/2021 Our paper
An MR-Safe Endovascular Robotic Framework: Design, Control, and Preclinical Evaluationhas been accepted to IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering.